Login NowClose 
Sign In to chronicle-tribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Frankton slips past Ole Miss in OT

DRIVE: Frankton’s Kayden Key drives against Mississinewa’s Landen Swanner in the second half of the Eagles’ 69-64 win in overtime Friday night in Gas City.

BY SCOTT HUNT - shunt@chronicle-tribune.com

GAS CITY — Only one major difference separated the boys basketball teams from Frankton and Mississinewa Friday night, and it’s something the Indians got a good dose of against the Eagles.

Mississienwa stormed back from a 45-35 deficit with a 20-6 run over a four-minute span in the fourth quarter to take a 55-51 lead on Landen Swanner’s three-pointer with just under two minutes to play. But with the crowd around Fredenberger Court in a near frenzy, Class 2A No. 6 Frankton - a senior-laden team with state championship pedigree - showed its seasoning and experience. The Eagles maintained their composure, got four free throws from junior Ethan Bates, the lone underclass starter for Frankton, and got a big defensive stop on Anthony Horton’s driving layup to send it to overtime.

There Frankton got a pair of three-point plays by senior Rylan Detling, two buckets by senior Kayden Key and outlasted Ole Miss 69-64. The win moved Frankton to 6-0 in the Central Indiana Conference and earned the Eagles a share of the league title. Mississinewa fell to 10-8, 4-2 in CIC, and was its third-straight loss all to ranked opponents.

“I felt like at the end of regulation it was 50-50 chance and it could have gone either way,” said Ole Miss coach James Reed. “You can’t blame the officials, I think Anthony got fouled there on that last play but I think we got a couple calls we didn’t deserve at the same time.

“For us to go toe-to-toe and have a chance to beat Frankton at the end of that game, these players have seen a state runner-up, two of them played heavy minutes on a state championship team,” he continued “ ... they know how to control a game in overtime. When we missed shot or two they took advantage then at the free throw line they’re just not going to miss.”

Key scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half and overtime, 10 coming in the third quarter. Eight of those points came as part of an 11-0 run that put the Eagles on top 37-27, after they trailed 27-26 at half.

Mississinewa drew within 39-34 but a Detling 3-point play and Key basket sent the Eagles to the fourth quarter with a 44-35 advantage. 

The Indians started clawing back when Horton started to attack the basket with more frequency for Ole Miss. He scored nine of his 22 points in the final eight minutes of regulation and his free throws followed by two from Swanner after a Frankton technical tie the game at 49. Horton then trained a triple on the Indians’ ensuing possession to give the team its first lead since halftime at 52-49.

Bates scored the final six points for Frankton and his free throws with 21 seconds to play tied the game at 55. Horton ran the clock down and made another strong move to the basket but the 6-7 Detling turned his shot away and kept the score tied before time expired.

The lead changed hands twice in OT and it was tied once at 61, but Key scored a two before Detling’s second three-point play of the extra session gave Frankton a lead it wouldn’t again give up at 66-61. 

“You’ve got to credit Mississinewa because they played extremely hard. Their coach is doing an outstanding job with them this year, kids are playing with a lot of confidence and we knew it was going to be really difficult,” said Frankton coach Brent Brobston. “Our kids have played in big games and I think in the end that was a deciding factor. Our kids made big plays down the stretch and didn’t get rattled.”

Detling finished with 21 points and eight boards, and scored his career 1,000th point in the first quarterer. 

Horton had 22 for Ole Miss while Swanner added 21 and Heisman Skeens had 11.