Login NowClose 
Sign In to chronicle-tribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account
Close

Chimney fire damages home

1 / 2
CHIMNEY FIRE: Firefighters get a fire under control at a house on Tuesday. The fire occurred at 6520 S. 500 E. Virgil Hall,chief of the Mill Township Volunteer Fire Department, said a chimney caught fire.
2 / 2
IN ACTION: Firefighters climb onto the roof of a house at6520 S. 500 E. during a fire. It's believed the fire was caused by a chimney.

By Clay Winowiecki - cwinowiecki@chronicle-tribune.com

GAS CITY — A house fire damaged a home's living room and kitchen at 6520 S. 500 E., around 2:07 p.m. Tuesday.

The fire began when a chimney caught the home on fire, according to Virgil Hall, chief of the Mill Township Volunteer Fire Department. Hall was unable to determine how the chimney caught the home on fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire, which was called in by a passerby, Hall said. No one suffered any injuries in the fire.

"The fire was contained to the family room, the kitchen and part of the exterior wall of the garage," Hall said.

A dog was home at the time of the fire and was inside a crate, Hall said. Firefighters managed to pull the crate out of the home shortly after entering.

"A fireman went back to check on the dog after we pulled it out, and it was somewhat lethargic," he said.

The dog bit the firefighter’s hand, requiring him to visit Marion General Hospital. He did not require any stitches.

The fire department had the fire under control in about 20 minutes, but were on scene for around three hours, Hall said.

Hall said firefighters spent much of the last three hours pulling out the home's insulation to extinguish it.