Login NowClose 
Sign In to chronicle-tribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Woman dies after falling under SUV

BY Carolyn Muyskens - cmuyskens@chronicle-tribune.com

According to Indiana State Police, a rural Gas City woman died Wednesday evening when she was run over by her own vehicle.

ISP Public Information Officer Tony Slocum said just before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday Mary Hensley, 80, was returning to her home at 3600 S. County Road 400 E., just north of Gas City. She had stopped her 2013 Ford Flex at the end of her driveway and was getting out to drop some mail off in her mailbox.

The SUV began to roll backward and Hensley was pulled underneath.

“At some point her vehicle was put in reverse, we don’t know if she tried to stop the car, but she was dragged under her vehicle,” Slocum said.

Grant County Sheriff’s Department officers and ISP officers responded to the scene, where the woman was pronounced dead.

Grant County Coroner Chris Butche said a passerby had found the woman under the car and called emergency services. The passerby also shifted the vehicle into park.

Butche said the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the body from compression.

Because investigators don’t believe there were any witnesses to the incident, it’s difficult to say exactly how she was pulled underneath the vehicle. Butche said it was possible she had slipped while outside the car.

The 80-year-old Gas City resident had been an active member of the Marion AMVETS Post 5, according to C-T archives.

A C-T article also reported that Hensley worked at the former Thomson electronics factory in Marion for more than 30 years before it was shut down.

Slocum said incidents like this, where someone is run over by their own vehicle, are not totally uncommon. He’s seen it happen before in Howard County.

ISP investigators have asked for a toxicology test to be performed but investigators don’t expect to find any drugs or alcohol in her system.

ISP Senior Trooper Jeremy Perez was the investigating officer for the accident.