Login NowClose 
Sign In to chronicle-tribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Police: suspect kills bird, robs and threatens family

BY Samantha Oyler - soyler@chronicle-tribune.com

A Fairmount man was charged with burglary, armed robbery, two counts of theft of a firearm, three counts of pointing a firearm and killing a domestic animal.

According to a probable cause affidavit, 32-year-old Andrew Michael Himes broke into a home at 535 W. First St. and stole several items from residents.

The family arrived home Sunday evening and noticed that everything inside had been gone through.

After looking through the house a bit more, the affidavit stated they noticed a beard trimmer in the bathroom and saw fresh clumps of hair in the sink and on the counter.

They also saw that their pet parrot decapitated on the kitchen floor, according to the affidavit.

They called 911 and were instructed to leave.

The affidavit states that on their way out, they noticed the garage door was open.

Police say one resident looked into the garage and noticed a man going through his vehicle. The man stood up and pointed a gun at him, which the affidavit said was resident’s own .38 Rossi special revolver.

According to the affidavit, the couple ran and hid behind a truck before crossing the street to get further away.

They soon approached a neighbor who was driving by and explained what happened.

Police say the neighbor continued driving and was soon approached by Himes.

Himes offered him $1,000 for a ride, police say.

When the neighbor said no, Himes pulled out a gun and tried to make the driver get out of the car.

The affidavit states that driver put the car in reverse to try to get away from Himes, which caused Himes to run away.

Reports say that Himes then went into the backyard of another residence where neighbors held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

Officers at the scene noted that Himes’s face was sunken in, his head was half shaved and he was incoherent. They suspect he was under the influence of narcotics.

Officers recovered a switchblade knife, social security cards, credit cards, jewelry, a speed loader with ammunition and a number of the Harmon’s family photos.

Prosecutor Rodney Faulk said he believes Himes got into the house through a basement window.

“The residents were definitely horrified, but fortunately no one was hurt,” Faulk said.

To protect themselves, Faulk suggests residents remain aware of their surroundings like the family did and ask neighbors to be on the lookout.